STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Will it Fit?

This weekend, we went to World Market and bought a media cabinet. Fully assembled, the cabinet is 62 inches long - the box was closer to 6 feet. As we backed Joe's Prius up to the loading dock, the store employee just shook his head.

We've seen that reaction before - that look of "who are you kidding, this is never going to fit in there." We've also seen the disbelief before when, indeed, this DOES fit in there.

"Did you see that Hummer pull out as you pulled in? He bought the same cabinet. We had to tie his hatch down. Hope he wasn't going far." We then closed the hatch on the Prius and took off for home.

Other things we've fit in the back of that car:
  • three boxed toilets
  • a full-size porch door
  • a futon
  • 50 inch tv
  • 2 angry (caged) kitties
  • 5 adults, comfortably enough to get around town (wouldn't want to road trip)

My point? Don't tell me you HAVE to have that big-ass SUV to haul stuff. We can get just as much or more in some cases in our little Prius. And then when you're getting 16 mpg riding around town with an empty cargo space, we're getting 50mpg. If you want/need the SUV for other reasons (the Prius isn't great in snow, for example), that's fine. But don't tell me it's because of cargo space.


P.S. Sarah's eleventy bajillion 21 questions are coming Thursday.

7 comments:

C. Beth said...

Wow, that's amazing! Do you have to fold down the back seats?

Knocked Up in Bama said...

We used to use my convertible as a truck...dishwashers, beds, TV's, you name it, it went in. Sometimes you work with what ya got!! :)

Alyson said...

I wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying your blog - and also to thank you for the 6WS - which is great!
Please accept a HUG award from me - you can find out more about it here http://thethoughtpalette.co.uk/2012/02/01/its-award-time/
have a great week!
Alyson

Toriz said...

My Dad and I are pretty good at making things fit that wont usually. It's all about how you put it in there. I've lost count of the number of times someone's said to me, "that wont fit in there," or "there's not enough room for it there," only for me to proove them wrong (which is fun, but still). Like when my hubby told me the freezer was too full to fit the shopping in, so I managed to fit it all in with a bit of space left over (he's still not sure how I managed that). Like I said, it's all about how you put things in!

Tami said...

My old faithful car that I drive back and forth to work has a HUGE trunk. People are always amazed at what I can fit in. Most SUV owners picked them for style or popularity - not necessity. Although, now that we have miles of gravel road between our house and a highway, the 4 wheel drive would be good.

Unknown said...

Whenever I get a vehicle the trunk/storage space is always a huge factor. If a vehicle is set up well, you can fit all sorts of stuff in even a compact car. How is the Prius for headroom?

John said...

I drive a big old pickup truck . . . I know, full well, that I don't need it 99.5% of the time that I'm driving. I've fit my bass, and my keyboard, and two amplifiers in my Chevy Malibu.

Damn, I miss having decent gas mileage.