STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, April 11, 2011

Jazz Hands Book Club

Last night, we conducted the first official meeting of the Jazz Hands Book Club (#jhbc on Twitter). Four of us (Beth, Melinda, Toni, and me) read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy".

It's a well-known fact around the twitterverse that I'm not a fan of sci-fi (the other three ladies all enjoy it). Still, the book was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the characters and the playful writing style. So many quotables!

It says that the effect of drinking a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster is like having your brains smashed out by a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.

"This must be Thursday," said Arthur to himself, sinking low over his beer. "I never could get the hang of Thursdays."

(Sass: know, be aware of, meet, have sex with; hoop: really together guy; frood: really amazingly together guy.)

"And then I will do it again!" yelled Arthur. "And when I've finished I will take all the little bits, and I will jump on them!"

"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.

See? Fun reading. And fun discussion with a fun group of ladies last night. We will definitely do #jhbc again.

Also, for those of you keeping track (which I realize is likely only me), this was book #12 for me this year. I'm well on my way to making my 30 book goal!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, even if it wasn't your thing. It was so much fun having a discussion with you all. Maybe you should pick our next book since you "had" to read sci-fi.

C. Beth said...

I thought the book discussion was SO much fun! Even worth pausing The Apprentice, which is what we had to do. :-) I agree, maybe you should pick the next book!

John said...

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't. is my all-time favorite line in literature, ever.

Melissa B. said...

I've always loved this book. Bravo on the literary total for this year!

Toriz said...

I read that book... It was awesome!