STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The elephant in the room...

...it's me! No, that's probably not indicative of a positive self-image but I'm being realistic here. I'm a smart, funny, amazing person - who happens to be carrying around 100 extra pounds. So by calling myself an elephant, I'm just making light of the fact that I'm not at all light.

Anyways!

Yesterday started Plan #1222. Why Plan #1222? I figure I've had at least 1221 plans before that haven't worked. Plus, 1222 is the number of calories livestrong.com says I'm allowed to eat in order to lose 2 lbs a week. I'd rather lose about 50 lbs a week and be done with it but apparently there's no healthy way to do that. So, instead, Plan #1222. Counting calories, working out, vitamins, 64 oz of water.

I hate counting calories. HATE! But I've found it's the best way to hold myself accountable. It also motivates me to go to the gym to "earn" extra calories. That's important to me, not just so I can eat more but because I really believe that regardless of your weight (probably the more you weigh, the more this is true), regular exercise is good for your heart and lungs and other parts and functions. It's good to stimulate the old ticker every so often! By counting calories, I'm more likely to go to the gym and use the elliptical for an hour than if I'm doing some eating plan that says "eat everything you want but it has to be this or that!"

I had a good start yesterday. Though I felt hungry a lot, I managed to do 45 minutes on the elliptical (not the hour I was doing at my peak but not bad for the first time back in awhile) and end the day well below my calorie limit. Today, I'm going to ride my recumbent bike at home I think, so I can go to the gym again tomorrow when I'm not working.

This is just one more piece of the puzzle as I work towards World Domination. And a healthier me. Lately, I've been making progress on a lot of those pieces. I'm excited to see what the final picture looks like once I have them all assembled!
me: I did great drinking today! Just finished 32 oz now, plus I drank 40 oz at the gym.
Joe: You drank 40 oz of gin?
My husband, ever supportive, ever sidetracked with his own things.

17 comments:

JKilpatty said...

You got this mamasita! Just make sure you're eating enough and making healthy decisions! Go you! xoxo

JKilpatty said...

You got this mamasita! Just make sure you're eating enough and making healthy decisions! Go you! xoxo

JKilpatty said...

You got this mamasita! Just make sure you're eating enough and making healthy decisions! Go you! xoxo

JKilpatty said...

You got this mamasita! Just make sure you're eating enough and making healthy decisions! Go you! xoxo

soulbrush said...

I have also put on about 14 pounds this past 3 months. Don't mind counting calories as it gives me a framework! But it's my mind that isn't in the right zone yet. Sigh. Soon soon. you go girl and let us know how you're doing.

C. Beth said...

Yeah! It sounds like you have a great plan in place. I'm going to have to figure out a new exercise plan for myself in a few more weeks. I know it'll be good to get back into it but honestly I've enjoyed being lazy....

Jeanie said...

You sound very positive and determined....that is the first big step toward success.
BTW-if you find that plan that lets us lose 50 lbs a week, please pass it on. :)
Good luck to you.

21 Wits said...

Twiggy is that you posting?! Ha! Ha! They say you are what you say you are.....so speak no more of the elephant...no way...tread lightly right! Just enjoying who you are!!!! :)

Toriz said...

Go you!

My weight loss isn't working, though in my defence I would like to point out that I got so anemic I almost ended up having a blood transfusion (despite having plenty of supplements and iron in my food) and even the docors say I was justified in not exercising over the past few months (they actually say I did good not to as it would have been dangerous for me to do so).

Annelie said...

Sounds like a great plan! Go Cate, go!!! You can do eeeeet! xoxo

betty said...

you can do this, Cate! I have great confidence in you!! I like counting calories; it does put into perspective exactly what one is eating and its harder to deceive one's self what a portion size is if one is measuring out portions to keep track of calories. Keep on track, don't get discouraged, don't give up and you'll see those pounds melting off you!

betty

TMC said...

We're in the same boat! If you're looking for a simple calorie counter, come join me at My Fitness Pal. : )

Mim said...

im with you on this - gotta do the same myself. i'm going to TRY to take it one day at a time!!!

Anonymous said...

I hate counting calories too. I need to lose 30 lbs and the only time I've ever been successful in losing weight is when I've counted calories. I'll be rooting for you! You are doing great! Keep it up :-)

Tami said...

I was in the same boat - 100 lbs. heavier than when I graduated high school. Of course, I was a flat-chested, buttless stick at that time, but still...

I also hate counting calories and working out. There's no way around the work outs, but I've been using Nutrisystem because they do the calorie counting for me. I've lost 43 lbs - but it's taken 6 months.

So you know where you can turn if you need to rant about how much you hate the treadmill or how much you want cheesecake! :) You can do this!

Cheri said...

Sounds like a good plan; good luck to you on your journey. And, not to come in here and sound like an ad, or anything, but I'd recommend an item called a fitbit. It's a wonderful tracker that has helped keep me focused on overall activity and fitness as I've worked to lose weight. (And I swear, I don't work for them!)

vivinfrance said...

Bon courage. Smaller plates is the answer for me! Oh and no gym, but walk for an hour a day.