STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

How to Be Amazing at 35

I recently celebrated a birthday. In general, I'm not a fan of birthdays. It's not so much the getting older that bothers me but I've had some really lousy birthdays over the years. Like the year I passed out in gym class. Or the year my boyfriend dumped me. That doesn't include the years I've battled severe depression the entire month of March because of the other memories my birthday brings. This was actually the best birthday I've had in a very long time.

This year wasn't a milestone birthday. 34. It seems harmless but 35 seems like a bigger deal. For some reason, I started thinking about a year from now and all of the things I don't want to think at that point. Like the fact that I'm so overweight. Or that I'm a writer who doesn't seriously write. There are a few other things but those two define so much of my life.

My plans for being 34?



I'm going to spend 34, a non-milestone year, preparing for an awesome start to 35. For whatever reason, 35 scares me a little bit so I'd like to be sure that when I kick it off, I'm doing so from a solid place. A healthy place. A place where I respect myself and the life I'm living.

I'm still not 100% sure how I'm going to accomplish all of this, though I'm working on it. I have some ideas for how I plan to lose weight. I'm not sure how to measure the writing angle but I feel like I'm making progress now and want to continue doing so. I'll reread my post from the beginning of the year about being mindful and try to follow-through on those ideas.

All I know is that when I look back right now at 33, I wish I had started then. If I had, things would be a lot different today. If I don't start making the most of now, I'm a fool. And I don't believe I'm a fool. And I most definitely don't want to be 35 looking back on 34 and feeling disappointed in myself for not living each day as if I'm worthy of an amazing future.

So, how to be amazing at 35? By being amazing at 34.

Here's to an amazing year!

12 comments:

C. Beth said...

What a great perspective! I haven't started thinking that much about 35 yet...though I'll reach it a few months before you do. It does seem to be a "big" birthday somehow.

Unknown said...

Gees at 40 that makes me absolutely ancient then. 40 worried me and then I got here and it was like - oh well!

The thing is it's never too late to begin something. We had a woman in Adelaide who started university at 91 - why you ask, I guess because she could.

A quote for you "Winning starts with beginning" ~ Robert H. Schuller :-)

TMC said...

Happy birthday! Cheers to making this one a great, productive, and fulfilling year!

betty said...

Happy belated birthday! I liked your attitude to prepare yourself for turning 35! I'm sure this 34th year of your life will be a great one with you achieving the goals you set out to do!

betty

vivinfrance said...

Retrospective birthday wishes. From the perspective of my great age, I would say that you are worrying about nothing: in my late thirties I had the time of my life - so much more confidence by then. The 40's were good, too, and the 50's and 60's. As for my 70's, I have come into my own, with more creativity than at any other time, plus graduating BA. OK so there's a physical downside, but you can't have everything.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday again! I'm glad it was a good one and I'm excited for your year ahead. I am just a few months behind you and thinking about 35 as well. It does seems like a big deal, more than turning 30 did anyway. I like the idea of making 34 awesome in preparation for an amazing 35. :)

Toriz said...

Good call, and a belated happy birthday. I know you aren't a fan of them, but I'm saying it anyway, so there!

Susi said...

Happy belated birthday. I just celebrated my 33rd b-day. I like your view on things and hope that all goes well and you will get the things accomplished that you want to!!!! Good luck!!!

Kathe W. said...

Happy Happy Birthday and have a great year! When I was 47 I thought to myself- s..t in3 years I'll be 50??? Now that I will be 70 this year it doesn't bother me a bit-it's been a good ride.

Bronnie said...

Happy belated birthday!

I like this idea - be ready and fabulous for your 35th! You can do it! :)

Alyson said...

Happy Birthday!
I like the way you are thinking - and you already ARE amazing!
here's another quote to inspire you:
St. Francis of Assisi
Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.

Tami said...

Amazing plan. I waited till I turned 50 to finally get the weight under control and start working on some dreams I had been putting off. Don't wait - be amazing now! Oh yes, you already are! :)

Happy Birthday.