STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Good Deeds

Earlier this week, I stopped into a state-operated store and had this exchange with the clerk.
clerk: Does this look like that woman there?
(shows me an id from a wallet he's digging through, points to a lady in the parking lot)
me: Maybe. It's hard to tell.
clerk: I think that's her, plus she looks like she's trying to find something.
me: She IS tearing her car apart.
clerk: Hold on, I'll be right back.
(he runs outside, the woman nods and smiles and takes the wallet, he comes back inside)
clerk: Yup, said she's been looking for it for 20 minutes.
me: Good thing you caught her!
clerk: Except she didn't give me nothin' for it. If I'd known that, I wouldn't have bothered.
me: Huh?
clerk: She said 'thank you' but she should've given me 20 bucks or something. I should've kept it.
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, he's a state employee paid with that woman's tax dollars. But he should've kept her wallet. So much for doing a good deed just for the sake of being a decent human being.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Please excuse the language I am about to use, but what a dickweed! Seriously!

Tami said...

I'm with Melinda! What a total jerk! *This is where I go into my speech about the ruination of our country...

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

It doesn't have to be a state employee ... the "What's in it for me" attitude is pervasive, especially among young people. Some day they will learn, maybe the hard way, that giving has it's own rewards even if it takes some time. I wish that young man could read your blog.
Andrea @ From the Sol

Elaine said...

Sadly it's a sign of how selfish many people have become, I think. It's all 'Me, me, me' these days.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

I gave you an award.
Andrea @ From The Sol
http://www.fromtheSol.blogspot.com

John said...

Ugh.

It's truly sad that the pleasure of doing a good task doesn't hold true for everyone.

Toriz said...

OMG!

He only gave it back in hopes of a finders reward?

Git!

And, 20 bucks?

Is he serious?

Double git!

Anonymous said...

That is horrible! What a maroon! What did you say?

Bruno Laliberté said...

This, and the notion of respect, civility, and empathy seem to be on the way out...
:(~
HUGZ