STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, December 19, 2011

How I Gave Christmas the Finger

To catch up on the past month or so of my life, it's involved Joe turning down a job, Joe's rebellious appendix, and my stomach virus. The longer version can be found here in this handy post from last week.

My six words this weekend were "busy making up for lost time" - and we were doing an amazing job. Yesterday morning, while Joe went for a massage (I had mine on Saturday), I was finishing up some Christmas gifts for the family. Beautiful ruffled scarves that are so easy to make - cut the fabric, run them through the sewing machine twice (straight lines), then pull the bottom thread.

Except somehow, on scarf #2, it all went very wrong. Feel free to skip the next paragraph if you are the cringe-y type.

CRINGE WARNING: I managed to stick my left index finger under the sewing needle as it was running. The needle went twice through the nail before it broke and I got the machine stopped. Then there was a lot of bleeding and sobbing and swearing. When Joe returned home from his massage, we decided it was best to go to the urgent care because we couldn't find part of the needle and we were afraid it might still be in my finger.

CRINGING OVER!

They did an x-ray to be sure there was no bone fracture and no needle still in my finger (all clear!) and then cleaned things up for me and sent me on my way. My finger is in what they call a "froggy" - it's a metal and foam splint that wraps around your finger, mostly to keep me from smashing it into things. And they wrapped the tip of the finger in a bandaid.





Yes, that IS Daffy Duck. Jealous? The nurse wanted to use that size and that's the only one she had. I'm totally rocking it. Once the nail regrows (no picture of that - it's kinda gross), everything should be just fine.

And that's the story of how I gave Christmas the finger. Or maybe how Christmas gave ME the finger.

P.S. I was so mad at myself that I came home and finished all four scarves. Screw you, sewing machine!

P.P.S. I'm SO over all of this drama.

P.P.P.S. Typing is hard without that finger. I probably won't be commenting on many 6WS posts again this week.

14 comments:

betty said...

I'm so sorry, Cate! I think the Daffy Duck band-aid is cute though! 12 more days left of this year and onto 2012!! A much better one I do believe!

betty

Tami said...

Oh my gosh! I'm still cringing. But good for you for finishing up the scarves - btw, sounds like a cute project - post pictures.

Hope the rest of your pre-Christmas week is much less painful - in every sense of the word. :)

21 Wits said...

Oh you poor girl! I just know Mrs. Claus and all their little elves are kissing your boo-boo good-bye....But you are just gonna sail through finishing your happy moments on your project too! I jist know it! I hope your holidays are filled with happiness, joy and much much health and love!!!!

soulbrush said...

Okay, that's three horrid things all over now- as bad things tend to come in threes. Now will you please stop giving me a fright and make up for lost time. How awful, so sorreee, waiting for lotsa good news in 2012!!

kristi said...

OUCH. I stepped on a needle last night. Guess I dropped it after fixing my son's pants. UGH.

TMC said...

eeeeew! and owwwww!

Unknown said...

Yeowee! I did cringe, but I'm a sucker for punishment so I had to read and not skip over it.
I'm with Soulbrush - 3 bad things out of the way, time for you to move on to good things.

Hope the remainder of your week is restful, calm and pain free

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Holy cow, this is ridiculous - you can please stop now!

Seriously, dear lady, I think you may need to slow down and take better care of yourself. It sounds as if you are driving yourself hard and probably trying to look after everybody else except yourself. We're all so prone to do that. I keep having to remind myself that if I run myself ragged I won't be able to take care of anyone else.

If the finger stops you doing a few things, maybe that's all to the good.

xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Cate :) I guess no one is jealous of your beautiful Daffy Duck ;)
Since all bad things come in three, you have had it with those now! It is time to enjoy now and stay healthy.
And my compliments: even in misery you manage to write in a funny way.
Take care,
Marion

Toriz said...

Ouch!

And, yeah, I'm jealous; I only have plain, boring brown ones, and you have character "bandaids" (we call them "plasters")... Not fair!

John said...

Ouch! That reminds me of when I was learning to play baseball, and took a ball to my fingernail.

I lost the fingernail.

Yeah, typing without a thumb is bullshit, but I'm glad you didn't end up not being able to get the scarves done, though one questions when your "frequent visitor" badges at the hospital arrive.

Susi said...

Oh my...when will it end? I hope it heals quickly so that you can type properly again!! I think, this happened to my grandma once or twice. She was an avid seamstress and was always working away on her sowing machine!!!

Unknown said...

Yikes, but way to power through and finish your projects. I hope your finger heals up quickly.

Now this part is very important...you are not allowed back in the ER or urgent care for the next year, at least. Deal? That goes for Joe as well.

Unknown said...

Poor girl!! I hope it will be better soon!
Happy Holidays!