STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, February 28, 2011

Dramatic Ending

I think everything in life should have a dramatic ending. Like a pointy-pose, or jazz hands, or a withering (fake) death. Or firetrucks!

Yesterday, I went to the gym for the first time since before starting physical therapy for my back. I started with the treadmill, then my PT exercises as adapted for the fancy gym machines, then some time on the elliptical. For my big ending, I decided to do another 15 minutes of walking on the treadmill.

Just as I set up the treadmill, there were blinky lights and sirens around the workout room. It's possible I've been watching too much Let's Make a Deal because my first thought was that someone had won something. Oooh, maybe *I* had won something for having such a great first workout back! I popped off my headphones and waited for someone to come my way with a big check and balloons, only to hear the PA system announce that this was an emergency and everyone needed to calmly proceed to the nearest exit immediately.

(A quick note - aren't "calmly" and "immediately" a bit contradictory? Yeah, I thought so too.)

I stood outside for a bit before the manager told us that firetrucks were on the way and we could not re-enter the building until they had arrived and cleared it.

At that point, I figured firetrucks were a perfect dramatic ending for my first workout back at the gym, so I hopped in my car to head home. And as I pulled to the curb while the firetruck came blasting through from the other direction, I may have even done some jazz hands.

7 comments:

Toriz said...

Great! All you were missing was the pointy toe pose! ;)

Toni said...

Wait! All that and you don't even know what the emergency was????? You had me on the edge of my seat and I am now unfulfilled.

Oh, and, congrats on your good first workout back and glad you weren't harmed by whatever emergency occured.

Juniper said...

Oh yeah, jazz hands!!! they cure everything ;-) or the Saturday Night Fever pose I think is suitable for me tonight, just having finished an essay I've been working on for 2 weeks ;-)

Your trip to the gym sounds infinitely more exciting than any of mine have ever been!

Jx

Monica Manning said...

You know, if more gyms had a Publisher's Clearing House welcome, then maybe more people would join. You might have something, Cate. Despite the drama, it sounds like your first workout was good, so don't give up! (says the woman who's eating a jumbo bag of peanut M&Ms and sipping a Starbucks latte).

TMC said...

is there an emoticon for jazz hands? there should be.

C. Beth said...

Ooh, I'm taking TMC's question as a personal challenge.

Meh, I couldn't get it to work. Sigh.

So, no, there is NOT a jazz hands emoticon!

21 Wits said...

I was waiting to see you mention a clowns red nose too....imagine that kind of emergency if a clown in his clod hopper clown shoes were trying to perform with Jazz hands...oh yeah, sure it's been done...you gotta love being somewhere when something happens and they rush you away with you knowing if it was just a false alarm practice and the big red fire truck was delivering PIZZA!