STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Cate's recent cardio activity

Lately, I've been thinking a lot about my eating and exercise choices. Or, rather, I haven't been thinking about them as I should because my choices have been poor.

Exercise is hard work! Also, I don't mind the activity itself so much as I hate sweating. Sweat is not attractive, though I'm trying to adjust my mindset to see sweat as an indication that I'm doing things that are good for me.

This morning, I was thinking a bit about cardio and decided to see if my definition matched that of my BFFs over at Merriam-Webster. Seems the term "cardio" has only been around since about 1991 so they directed me instead to their definition for "cardiovascular":

Main Entry: car·dio·vas·cu·lar
Pronunciation: \ˈkär-dē-(ˌ)ō-ˈvas-kyə-lər\
Function: noun

1. of, relating to, or involving the heart and blood vessels
2. used, designed, or performed to cause a temporary increase in heart rate (a cardiovascular workout)

So here's what I'm trying to figure out in my head. If I perform an action that causes a temporary increase in heart rate, does that count as my cardio workout for the day?

I ask because the most commonly performed task in this house lately seems to involve dealing with cockroaches. I can assure you that this definitely increases my heart rate. All I have to do is look at one and my heart speeds up. And then there are the activities involved in removing said critter from the inside of my home.

This morning's adventures (I will spare you the horrific details - you're welcome!) increased my heart rate almost to the point of achieving panic attack status. Complete with shallow breathing and sweat, followed with a feeling of complete exhaustion afterwards.

Sounds like a cardio workout to me!

P.S. Cats are worthless.
P.P.S. Traveling husbands are also worthless in this situation.
P.P.P.S. Is it considered cheating on you husband if you have an affair with a neighbor for the lone purpose of having someone to remove bugs and such from your home while your husband travels? I'm asking for a friend...

7 comments:

StylinMom said...

totally not cheating at all...actually in this case a necessary thing to do...lol lol
good luck with the bugs...yikes!
m

soulbrush said...

I know this post is not meant to be funny- but the image of you scuttling around racing after cockroaches and so incresing your heart rate is soo funny, and in answer to your question- here's my question./ Is he goodlooking? Then it IS necessary.

Tami said...

When it comes to bugs, mice and snakes - a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!

vivinfrance said...

Up and at 'em, girl. You show 'em what's what.

Jim said...

Hi Cate ~~ When hubby leaves, close the windows, take the pets, put them in the car with you, and set off a bug bomb in every room before you leave.

That's what this hubby does when our bugs get too bad. Where we lived before we had roaches but they don't like our climate 100 miles to the north.

A few things:
1. This neighbor does have affairs. But my advice is always free.
2. We have misquitoes up here really bad. I spray he little rug under the breakfast room table so we don't get bitten.
3. Roaches won't bite you. So don't be afraid. They are a part of life in the South. Roach infestations are not, they can be controlled.
4. Our roaches would sneak in from the outside. They lived in the trees.
..

C. Beth said...

I think your heart rate has to be up for at least a few minutes to really make a difference. So you and the cockroaches may need to have a real heart-to-heart (a few times a week) for it to be effective.

waikiki hotel said...

Nice blog, LOL surely that's a cardiovascular activity. Keep posting please!