STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Summer Camp

By which I mean, of course, not an actual camp in the traditional, exciting, s'mores sense. No, I don't seem to be a fan of doing things the expected way. Mostly because I'm a fan of electricity, air conditioning, indoor plumbing, and bug-free sleeping environments.

What I mean is that I usually try to blog twice a week, plus Six Word Saturday. And I'm giving myself specific permission not to do that for the next 30ish days because I'll be camping. Not literally. I will be writing as part of Camp NaNoWriMo, which is a lot like regular NaNoWriMo (November) but with higher temperatures and more teens.

I'm going to be working on my novel for the next month and that's the only writing I want to focus on. If I'm inspired to write something else, yay. If not, yay. I've been a little frustrated with blogging lately anyways - I struggle to post but then when I do, there's little response (except for 6WS, which is the exception to just about every rule).

And, let's be honest, there are two main camps of bloggers: those who do it as a therapeutic exercise and those who do it for the comments. Sure, some of pitch tents in both camps from time to time but for me, I mostly blog to connect with people and lately, I'm not feeling it. Which is more me than you, I'm sure. Whatever, that's not the point. The point is that I've had a lot of editing work to do lately and I'm planning to spend my free time writing.

So, I'm off to figurative camp. I'll post sometimes. I'll post Saturdays. And then I'll probably post again more regularly in September. In the meantime, I'm very excited about the idea of having a very rough draft of my novel completed by September 1st.

Enjoy the end of summer, however you choose to spend it!

6 comments:

C. Beth said...

Your "camp" sounds like a great idea! I'm so glad you're putting in so much time on your novel. That takes a lot of planning & dedication.

TMC said...

I just read about that Camp! I think it's a great opportunity for you to focus on your book. Cheers!

restlessjo said...

Hi Cath! I always read your posts but seldom take time to comment so I'm sorry- guilty as charged! I usually give an appreciative nod, or comment in my head, but of course, that helps you, not at all.

At present I have Polish family staying with me so life is exceptionally hectic. Give Camp your all- it'll be worth it! I sometimes wish I could do the same.

Toriz said...

Good luck with your novel. Is this the one you plan to self-publish? Will we be reading a book by you by the end of this year?

I'm with you on the blogging frustration. I'm very close to just deleting my blog and stopping blogging completely. I have 61 followers, and yet I can count the people who comment regularly on one hand... Without usingmy thumb! I love to write, but my blog is meant to be to connect with people, and I'm not seeing much connecting going on. And half the time lately I'm just posting book reviews because I can't be bothered to think of something to post. In fact, I only escaped book reviews this week by participating in a blog party and splitting the photos from a day out we had a couple of weeks ago in to several posts. I've been blogging for over 6 years... Almost daily, in fact definitely daily for the most part... But I'm starting to think it's time to throw in the towel.

John said...

Good luck, Cate -- I've certainly been there with the "am I getting what I need out of blogging?" thoughts before. And then I try to think of what I'm actually trying to get out of blogging . . . and realize that I have no clue what I want. So I go a few weeks with barely posting and then I post every day for a week, and then I'm too tired and want to nap.

What time is it? Where am I?

Oh, yeah -- good luck . . . if you do manage to finish your novel, you'll have no shortage of people who might like to read it.

Camps for Troubled Teens said...

Just reached your blogger page. I really want to thank you for giving info about summer camp. Good luck for you, I hope it will be a great camping program for you. The concept of camping is really good especially for teens. In US there are lots of schools and academies have also organized summer camps for teens in summer holidays.