STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Running Amok and Alone

On Saturday, I shared that my husband is in India and I am running amok. I realized as soon as he booked the trip that he would be away for Valentine's Day.

Now, is Valentine's Day really a big deal to us? No. Is it even a big deal to me? Nah. Did I stick out my lower lip and pout and flutter my lashes like it was a big deal? Duh!

We've been fortunate that my husband doesn't travel a lot for work. We've never spent any of the big holidays apart, by which I mean Christmas, Thanksgiving, birthdays and anniversaries. With the exception of the first year we were together (he was away at college), the only birthday we've spent apart was his birthday last year - he opted to fly to California for a job interview. Since it was his birthday, I figured that was his choice.

But, back to Valentine's Day. I made him a card and slipped it into his suitcase after he had packed. Since he arrived in India on Saturday night, he probably found it before today but that's fine. The truth is that I've been known to slip random notes and cards into his luggage regardless of whether or not there's a supposedly special occasion. Which is probably why February 14th isn't that big of a deal to us in general. On this trip, it just gave me a theme for the little something I sent along to let him know I'll be thinking about him.

Since he's away, I'm going to spend some time this week sending "love notes" to some friends. I'm in the midst of a little delayed holiday gift exchange with my bookclub ladies (yay #jhbc!) and I actually love that we postponed our target to mid-February. Valentine's is about so much more to me than just romantic love - the flurry of notes and packages bouncing around the country between this little group of friends is maybe what I love most about this time of year.

Just, you know, don't let Joe know that. I'm hoping my pout translates via Skype. ;)

So Happy Valentine's Day, aka Happy Hallmark Excuse to Do Nice Things For The People You Love Day.

P.S. Several folks asked on Saturday what I mean by "amok." A lot of reading and writing and sleeping in the center of the bed. Yeah, I'm crazy like that.

12 comments:

Lora said...

sleeping horizontal is one of a married lady's luxuries, but it does get old fast. Love to you today and Happy Valentine's Day!

Knocked Up in Bama said...

With mine being a firefighter, we're used to missing holidays, Christmas, Turkey Day, etc. So, V-day isn't that big of a deal, although I am getting flowers today, I know this since I checked our online banking and saw it...it does make me smile! :)

Unknown said...

Oh, I enjoy sleeping diagonally across the bed when I am lucky enough to get it to myself.

I like to think of Valentine's day as more of a giving and sharing love day, instead of so much a romantic love day. We don't make a big deal about it in my family, but it is a great day to remind us to make sure the people we care about know we care and think of them. So Happy Valentine's Day my dear friend. I hope your day is filled with love near and from afar.

TMC said...

I'm hoping my husband forgot he threatened to order flowers and have them delivered to my work.

C. Beth said...

I'm away from my hubs today too, as you know. (I'm not counting the little bit I saw him in the middle of the night between trips. There was nothing romantic about those brief encounters.) So I got a card today, one with an "I miss you" message, and texted him pics of the outside & inside of the card. Uber-romantic. :)

I'm totally enjoying the #JHBC stuff too. Valentine's Day is not really that big of a deal to us; we've always just celebrated our anniversary a month before. But it's great to remind friends that we appreciate them.

Toriz said...

It's not a huge deal to us either; we usually get each other presents, but since we do that on and off all year round then it's not a huge deal if it doesn't happen on Valentine's Day.

Happy Valentine's Day to you though! :)

21 Wits said...

Well I'm sending you an extra big HAPPY Valentine's Day to YOU! ...these days though with Skype and cell phones and the internet....your loved one is really only a few short clicks away!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

That's my kind of amok - wonderful isn't it?

vivinfrance said...

Go girl, enjoy your amoking.

John said...

I need to get into the habit, again, of leaving love notes around for my wife. I used to do it, and I fear it's gone to the wayside during marriage.

I think tonight will see it's return.

Amanda @ Rambling of an Empty Mind said...

I love your definition of amok...sounds about right to me. I'm wild and crazy that way too. :D

Bijee @ PinkLilliesandBG said...

I busted a gut and laughed out lloyd with I read your definition of amok. Mine consists of cleaning the house completely, lighting candles, sitting on the couch and sleeping in the middle using all the pillows!!