STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Announcing a Winer!

You've had about ten days to enter your guess regarding how many wine corks were in my big glass barrel jar:



The rules stated that closest guess without going over wins.

Actual number of wine corks in the jar? 407.

This means the winner of the $25 gift certificate to Uncommon Goods is Melinda, with a guess of 364.  Congratulations, Melinda!

Also, you may notice that Melinda won on her second guess and references that I said the current guesses were too low.  No, the competition wasn't fixed and Melinda didn't receive a special hint. I tweeted: "A tip for my Twitter followers: All of the guesses are WAY low on the Guess to Wine game. http://bit.ly/lJ1yd7 You may submit a 2nd guess.". Sometimes it pays to follow my gibberish on Twitter!

Joe and I made our own guesses when I did the counting. We started off with guesses of 250 (him) and 200 (me). With 100 corks back in the barrel, we revised our guesses to 350 and 300. We were both shocked at the final number!

Also, someone expressed concern for my liver. Please keep in mind that the barrel holds almost two years of wine corks, including a few parties. My liver thanks you for your concern as it often feels left out since my head receives most of the attention.

Thanks to everyone that entered a guess. It was fun! Now I have to figure out what to do with all these wine corks. Did you know that you can recycle them at some stores? I think Whole Foods is one. However, I'm planning to make something from my corks but I'm not sure what yet.

Disclaimer: Nobody sponsored this post. Except maybe Joe because I'm still unemployed so technically he's paying for both the wine AND the prize.

5 comments:

Toriz said...

LOL @ your comments at the bottom of the post!

Whitney said...

Aww no fair! I don't have a twitter account. BOO!!! It's fixed, it's fixed!
Just kidding. Congratulations to Melinda! :)
There's a lady in my hometown that makes windchimes out of flattened wine bottles. That would have been cool. I can't imagine having over 400 wine bottles just sitting around though. haha.

Kathy said...

Wow, that's a lot of corks! Congrats to your winner!

Unknown said...

Thank you! And thank you to Joefor the awesome prize.

Knocked Up in Bama said...

Mmm...red wine corks. Well played. I've seen some cool message boards made out of corks and other stuff...I bet somebody who does that stuff on Etsy would love to get your stash!