STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday Confession: Zzzzzz

I have a confession. I am not a morning person.

It's not that I'm necessarily grumpy or snappy. It's just that I'm wandering around in my own little world while I try to wake up. You may speak to me, but please don't expect an intelligent answer or recollection later in the day.

During the week, this usually works for me. Sometimes I wake up, shower, and find I've been at my desk for an hour before I truly gain consciousness. Since my job is very quiet, this is ok.

Oddly enough, I have more trouble on the weekends. Yesterday, I was able to sleep in and relax. Great, though I probably did a bit too much of that. Around 4pm, I freaked out that I hadn't accomplished anything and went a little nuts reorganizing kitchen cabinets. Then I also needed to workout and be ready to leave the house by 7pm for a show.

Last night, I didn't do a whole lot of that sleeping thing. We went to bed around 12:30am and I ended up "sleeping" on the sofa because I was coughing. I put sleeping in quotes because it's hard for me to sleep sitting up. It was more like dozing. Joe was up at 5am so he could run a half-marathon (in the rain).

And this is where my "not a morning person" is weighing on me. Let's compare morning accomplishments:
  • Joe: Joe's a morning person. At this point, he's already been running for 90 minutes. He's about done with thirteen miles.
  • Me (planned): Workout, vacuum house, clean kitchen, prepare grocery list.
  • Me (actual): I crawled out of bed about an hour ago, dragged myself (and my trusty laptop) to the living room, and I'm watching Food Network.
I'd cut myself some slack if I was instead a night person, finding my productivity while the rest of the world turns in for the evening. Nope, by 8pm, I'm about finished. 10am - 1pm is probably my productive time.

I'm not sure why I'm sharing this. I think people tend to confess when they're feeling guilty. This morning, I'm definitely feeling guilty. The overcast skies aren't helping to inspire me. What am I going to do about it? Maybe at 9am I'll consider some WiiFit action. Or a nap.

15 comments:

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Hey, 3 hours of productivity a day is all anyone really needs, anyway. Those other people are just showing off.

Speaking of showing off, 13 miles in less than 2 hours?! I'm thinking he's productive enough for two.

Melissa B. said...

I married a morning person, so have adapted over the years. The irony is that I've been working for the last 15 years in a job that requires me to be a morning person...I have to have my "teacher face" on by 7:15 a.m.! And BTW...don't forget today's Silly Sunday Sweepstakes. We're swimming with the "Big Fish" today!

Michael said...

You can't compare yourself, ie sensible human being, to someone who a) gets up at 5 am without the prompting of a natural disaster, medical emergency, or really good European soccer game and b) runs for hours, which makes no sense unless you're being chased by a bear or some other large predator. :)

Haha, I'm just kidding--congrats to Joe on his 26.2!

But I'm serious about comparing--it might sound kindergartenish, but I've found that comparing my effort/productivity/goodness etc to others' is a losing battle. There are too many complicating factors involved to make it a fair comparison, and I just wind up losing energy that I could spend being happier (and more productive). It's easier said than done, but I try to keep the comparisons limited to actual self vs. best-self-that-I-can-be, if that makes sense.

Annelie said...

I agree with RAS; Joe seems productive enough for two!

And seriously, it is not about quantity, but quality, and maybe those people who quote 12 hour productivity marathons are low grade, mediocre performers anyways?

Oh, I love Michael's "self vs. best-self-that-I-can-be" business. That is brilliant!

Unknown said...

Iam totally with you cate, I am not a morning person...usually I'm awake and able to not want to punch everyone in the face by 0930 or so. And after working all day, running kids around everywhere and supper, blah blah blah...there's nothing leftover for the evenings either. Plus being on meds, my energy suffers...but it's a trade off for the better. I just try to utilize my weekends as best I can and let the rest of it go...and just do the cleaning people can see if they come to my door;) BOY, that was a lot to type from my blackberry! You are so spoiled:) get ready for it, 'cause I'm home tomorrow!!!

blognut said...

Productivity is highly overrated. Pffftt!

Call Me Cate said...

RAS - at my job, I only need about 3 hrs of productivity in a week. If I get 3 hrs a day, that's just a bonus for me!

Melissa - We've been married for almost 11 and I still haven't adapted. I'm lucky if I'm in the shower by 7:15, let alone "on".

Michael - You're right. The smoke alarm wasn't going off. No need to be out of bed at that hour. I was approaching this all wrong, like *I* am the one with the problem when it's him! Yeah, comparing myself to others always laves me falling short. I like self vs best-self.

Snarky - My running goal would be to run a 5k with him. If he wants to run my 5k as well as his own (and then some), guess I should let him!

Andy - Glad you figured out the commenting via crackberry. I end up cramming a lot into weekends but that's when Joe likes to chill bc he does so much during the week.

blognut - I agree. Let's go on a strike!

Ann On and On... said...

We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I have to use a cattle prod to get my husband out of bed in the morning. :)

I hope you have a great (semi productive) day!

Come on over and check out my yummy (really yummy) giveaway.

C. Beth said...

I have to say, The Engineer can be happy with a busier schedule than I can be. (Did that make sense?) I seem to need more "down time" than he does, in order to stay sane. I figure we're just wired differently...but that definitely doesn't stop me from feeling builty.

Anonymous said...

Hubby and I are opposites too. Mine is up between 3:30 and 5:00 every day. Every day. Did you hear that? Every day. So then my dog thinks that I need to get up because he's up. It drives me insane.

scrappysue said...

yep - i'm a 10.10 for 40 minutes person - don't beat yourself up :)

Toriz said...

I have trouble getting going in the mornings too. Once I get going I can get things done pretty quickly, but if I've been up less than an hour then I think snails are quicker than me. ;)

Call Me Cate said...

Ann On and On - Maybe that's why I'm so bothered. I was the morning person originally and had to drag him out of bed. Now we've switched sides.

C. Beth -That makes total sense to me. I really couldn't handle Joe's schedule - and he couldn't handle all the downtime I have.

Yaya - I'm pretty sure your husband is crazy. And also that he needs to deal with the dogs if that's how he's gonna be!

scrappysue - 10:10 is a good time, sure!

Tori - That first thirty minutes is definitely hard. I can get up and go through the motions but I'm definitely not interactive during that time. Autopilot for sure!

AmyK. said...

Sundays are MEANT for a bit of lazing around. And 13 miles? That's insane...admirable, but insane, lol...

Megan said...

If you only know how lazy / not a morning person I am, you would feel a lot better about what you did accomplish. lol Plus, Food Network is fab so how can you feel guilty about watching it? ;0P