STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My first time

Another gem from the family vault today. Over there on the right, I've added a handy countdown clock to the start of our family adventure so you can properly prepare to pity me.

Most people remember certain firsts - first kiss, first job, first car. I think "first gray hair" is one that most folks recall, even if they'd rather not.

My first gray hair was discovered a few years back. It was the day of my brother's college graduation. Already feeling anxious due to travel and proximity to my mother, the hot weather was only adding to my discomfort. While the crowd around us was showing the usual sense of decorum at this important event, my mother was loud and obnoxious, drawing attention to herself in negative ways. This, for her, is the norm.

It was during the long and boring inspirational and fascinating commencement address by some dude I've never heard of a visionary leader that I felt a sharp pull at the side of my scalp, accompanied by "Ooooh, my daughter has a gray hair, I found a gray hair! She's only 27 and she has gray hair!". All the while waving the hair around for anyone nearby to see.

I wanted to die, of course. Or at least punch her in the face. Thankfully, with the outdoor setup, my brother was blissfully unaware of my mother's outburst.

As for me, I bit my tongue, even when she asked if I wanted to keep it. I only said "no thanks". But what was in my head was "it's fitting you found it because you sure as hell caused it!".

P.S. As I said, that was a few years ago. I haven't found any gray hairs since only really blonde hairs that are natural highlights, right?. Until recently. Coincidence that I'm finding a few grays now, with family vacation looming? I think not.

P.P.S. Can anyone recommend a decent at-home product for covering silvers (because silver sounds so much sexier than gray, sorta like that hot Silver Fox Anderson Cooper, rawr!)? Must be easy to use because I'm an idiot. My other hairs are brownish, if that matters.

12 comments:

TMC said...

Whew. I thought this was going to be about the M in PMS.

I hope you've given up worrying about this kind of thing. I can't even remember when I saw my first grey hair but I'm pretty sure it was in my late 20's shortly after I got married. Because marriage can do that. Now I'm proudly letting my grey (I call it SILVER) & brown & blonde strands tangle up.

C. Beth said...

Very funny post! No advice on the best gray-covering product. I am really surprised I haven't found any yet. The Engineer has quite a few.

Lora said...

I found one last year, and I might have another one, but then again it might be blonde. Who knows with my hair. It grows in a million different colors.

I saved my 1st in a ziploc in my jewelry box. I'm so weird.

http://littlemaniac.blogspot.com/2008/02/this-just-means-that-youre-getting-old.html

blognut said...

My advice? See a stylist for that first silver-hiding color, then ask her how you can maintain it at home in between visits to the salon.

Unknown said...

i'm totally going to start inserting anderson cooper into my wacko medication dreams.

and your "rawr!" made me giggle...didn't peg you for a rawr kind of girl:)

your mother sounds awesome-ly embarrassing...almost like you are anticipating a time bomb to go off. you just don't know when.

if i ever stand up to my mom and put her in place, or ask her to please keep her gossip/opinions to herself? she cries. then i feel like shit. but she started it. sigh.

andy

p.s. i'm just assuming that i don't have grey hair...although colouring it every 4 weeks helps maintain the denial.

mo.stoneskin said...

I'm only 26 (just) and I have plenty of grey hairs. I just figured it was because I am so damn wise. But the fact people keep plucking them off my head suggests they might not think so. Let me know if you discover something good.

Call Me Cate said...

TMC - My first PMS story isn't all that entertaining. Though it is another great tale of maternal neglect! I'm trying to find the balance right now between pre-empting possible mother-comments and just not caring. In general? I really don't care about a few silvers. In shushing my mother? Might be worth a temporary bit of color.

C Beth - I'm not allowed to talk about Joe's grays. So I won't. But they're totally having a huge party on his head. It's an attractive party though.

Lora - Oooh, I *do* remember reading that post of yours! I'm a packrat about most things but just didn't feel emotionally attached to that gray hair. Maybe if I had known it was there before she scalped me.

Blognut - I need to probably go see my hair chick for a cut. Undecided, though a trim would look better, it's at a length now where I can pull it back which is good for windy beach activities.

Andy - Anderson Cooper is in a lot of my dreams. And he's better than Alan Rickman because he doesn't steal babies. I am SO a rawr kinda girl. It's like you don't know me at all. :(

Mo - You ARE wise. And next time someone plucks one from your head, punch them in the face. That's just unnecessary.

Grand Pooba said...

I've found plenty of grey hairs on my husband's head, he refuses to believe me. Since I highlight my hair I don't think it has a chance to get grey!

Juliet Colors said...

I actually don't remember finding my first gray hair. Perhaps because I used to color my hair so I didn't have a chance to notice the silver/blond strands whenever they first appeared. I know I have a few more now, but I choose to ignore their existence.

Alex, on the other hand, has a lot of gray hairs and I can't resist pointing them out to him. I blame that on his being in school for too long.

Megan said...

Yikes. Hello most inappropriate time to be searching for gray hairs!

If it makes you feel any better, I started getting gray hair when I was 18. We gray / silver early in my family.

No advice on the at home coloring. I don't trust myself to do that so I get it done at the salon.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Wish I could help - at-home products tend to turn my hair green, and there's sexy-ing that color up.

The only color I've found that doesn't wear off of the shiny silvers in a few days is an equally shiny shade of blonde highlights. Boo hiss.

Call Me Cate said...

Grand Pooba - Joe can't hide his. I've only ever colored my hair once. I must be behind the times.

Juliet - I totally blame Joe's on school and a dotcom job that liked to skip paychecks.

Megan - If there's a most inappropriate time for something, my mother WILL find it. And I'd rather gray early than go bald so I guess we're ok.

RAS - Green's a hard color to pull off. The reason I have trouble with my silvers is that I do have a lot of blonde highlights. Maybe that's the answer.