STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Friday, November 07, 2008

Like a big girl

Tonight, I did something that most folks wouldn't think twice about. But for me, it was a big deal.

First, a teensy bit of background. The condensed version is that I have a lot of anxiety issues. And by "a lot", I mean therapist and medication levels of anxiety. Most of my issues deal with breaking out of my routine and pushing beyond my comfort/familiarity zone. Basically, your every day agoraphobia with a side of claustrophobia and a sprinkling of general panic.

Anyways, back to tonight.

I went to a hockey game. By myself. Without Joe. And did not have an anxiety attack. Or die. This is a major accomplishment for me.

The arena is very near home and we've been to games many times. In fact, that's how I ended up going tonight - we actually have a mini-plan (about a dozen games spread throughout season) that included this game. Joe had to be out of town and didn't sell the tickets before he left so my option was either to completely waste both tickets or go by myself.

I caught a ride with a friend of Joe's that has seats a few sections over and off I went. Since the game wasn't sold out, I was able to move over with the friend after the first intermission.

Lessons I learned:

  1. A large (24 oz?) beer is too much for me. I usually split it with Joe and apparently he drinks most of it.
  2. Without someone to hold your beer for you, you can't take off to the ladies' room. Until you finish your beer. Which makes you have to pee even more. 24 oz in one 20 minute hockey period is a lot!
  3. I'm not the jinx for our team, Joe is. When we both went to a game a week ago, they lost. This time, they won.
  4. Not only did attending the game without Joe NOT kill me, it was actually fun!

Why am I sharing this here? Because, as I said, Joe is out of town. And when I tried to share my accomplishment with him on the phone, well, the satisfaction level was fairly low due to other shiny objects requiring his attention. So I'm proud, even if it's a dumb and small thing, and I felt the need to fully share somewhere. Consider yourself blessed. You're my new BFF.

No comments: