STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Thursday, November 01, 2012

It's time

I know I've said it before but this time feels different.

Today, I went to see a new doctor because my previous primary care doctor sucked. Her treatment was so hands-off and old-fashioned. She was great for handing out prescriptions for quick fixes but when I asked to come off a medication or tried to get her to discuss my weight, she had no interest. 

So, new doctor. This one spoke with me at length about my concerns and my medications. She gave me a plan to come off the one med, agreeing that it may have caused my weight gain and could be complicating weight loss. We talked about my frustration at not getting results when I've worked out hard and counted every calorie. She didn't give me magic solutions but she was encouraging. We discussed my anxiety. She also ordered up enough tests to drain half my blood - my old doctor wouldn't order even standard tests.

Another big difference between doctors is access to my information. Here's an example:
me: What's my blood pressure?
old doctor: It's fine.
me: Yes, but what is it?
old doctor: Totally within range, maybe a little low.
me: What's the actual reading?
old doctor: 114/72.

Today? 
me: What's my blood pressure?
new doctor: It's 114/72. That and all of your other info from today is available to you by logging in through our website.
And it was all available. Weight, blood pressure, heart rate. Medications ordered and where (local vs mail order) with links for more information. I also got printouts of our plan for my weight.

I go back on Nov. 30 to see how a new medicine is working for my migraines (they've been bad lately). Today's appointment didn't really tell me anything new but I feel like I have reassurance now from the doctor that I should and can move forward. And I'm determined to do it.

Watch out, world, because I'm about to get my sh*t together.

8 comments:

C. Beth said...

I had a very annoying health issue several years back that I just couldn't seem to figure out. Finally I found a care provider (a nurse practitioner, actually) who said, "We're going to get to the bottom of this." It was so nice to hear, and it didn't take long before we DID figure it out and fixed it. It's so great to feel like you're working with someone who is really on your side.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, so good to have a doctor who treats you as an intelligent human being. They all should, of course. Here's hoping this will make a big difference to you.

restlessjo said...

An enormous step forward for you. So pleased.

Unknown said...

What a huge difference it makes having a doctor who cares more about you than the money he/she will get from your insurance company. I hope that you see great changes on your new plan. :)

21 Wits said...

Sounds like you are on the right road now! I too have very low blood pressure, always have, and when I was pregnant, each time it really went low...they were like I know you're alive but!!! Good luck !

John said...

So very eager to follow the "new you with your shit together." :-)

My blood-pressure stinks, despite the fact that I work out like a fiend. But that could be the wine. And the beer. And the cheese.

retired not tired said...

That is great news. If you can't respect a doctor there is no point in going any more. My doctor is 82 years old and has known me since I was 4 years old and I stick with him. I am afraid to try someone else.

TMC said...

I've had a few similar experiences with doctors over the years. Some of them seem interested, others don't. In particular I had a psychiatrist who seemed to be loaded during our appointment! It was a little disconcerting to trust his judgment about my own care. I feel lucky to have found another one who seems to listen to me.