STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Friday, November 02, 2012

Four days out of five

Four days out of five. That might be a new migraine record for me. I don't know how Tuesday (Wednesday?) managed to be pain-free but the rest of the week has made up for it.

The problem with migraines is that it makes doing things with your head both easier and harder at the same time. For example - your eyes detect every hint of light and it hurts. All sounds are super loud and they hurt. The pleasant smell of a flower fills your nose until you feel like your entire world is overrun by this smell and it HURTS.

And let's not talk about thinking. It seems like the human brain should be able to make connections regardless of headaches. Headaches are physical, right? How can thinking hurt?

Trust me, it can. It can hurt a lot. And there's a definite difference between the pain felt when I stare at the wall versus the pain felt when I try to think.

All of this is quite inconvenient when you're trying to work and your work involves seeing and thinking. Not so much smelling or hearing but those things can make the others even worse.

But the good news is that FINALLY the pain seems to have lifted. I can think again! I can smell and see and hear at appropriate levels!

Now let's just hope it stays that way...

7 comments:

TMC said...

I'm not sure I ever told you that I used to get migraines as a child. Can you imagine having a kid that got these headaches 2 to 3 times a week? I always remember my dad saying he wished he could take the headache for me. Now he gets migraines and I mostly don't. I'm so glad to have grown out of them.

I hope the new medicine is helping. I wish there was an easy fix for your situation.

C. Beth said...

:( :( :(

Amanda said...

Not much I can say aside from...that sucks!

retired not tired said...

i used to get migraines. I was 4 years old when I got my first one. I discovered most of the triggers and have had maybe 6 in the last 20 years. My triggers are pineapple and seafood as well wearing a shoulder purse. I did find the best treatment was a tea made from feverfew. I used to get it from the herbalist. It took 20 minutes for the tea to brew and I had to drink while sitting at the side of my bed because it numb my body. It worked though.

Linda said...

So sorry Cate! I completely understand about migraines, cuz I suffer from them too...and I have for over 30 years. UGH! When they are over, I feel re-born! But the 1-4 days that I am suffering are horrible. I throw up with mine and feel like I am poisoned.

I hope you will be feeling better real soon! I am saying a prayer for you right now. Love, Linda

Bijee said...

Have you guys ever tried a magnesium supplement?? I take one daily and when i first got pregnant i stopped thinking i couldn't while i was pregnant and boy did i regret it...they came back tighter then ever...i started the magnesium back up and i have been headache free, thank God!!!! You may want to research it.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry migraines plague you so. Sending you a hug.