STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Today I was brave

Note: I'm still easing into this "posting twice a week thing." Let's think of it as more of a goal than a commitment. And if "balance" is the word for the year, "transition" is the word for January.

Today I did something I've never done before. I went to the movies by myself.

Because despite my dislike for crowds and being out in public, despite my general preference for spending time alone, I'm also not a huge fan of going places in public alone. At least not the first time. After the first time, it's not such a big deal. 

But there's always that pesky first time.

Hey, you have your issues, I have mine.

I always thought the perfect first time to see a movie by myself was at our little local independent theatre. It's a tiny, lovely little place. They serve wine, aka a coping mechanism. I pictured myself strolling in, settling back with a glass of wine and taking in a French film. 

Then the damn place went out of business because they decided to bulldoze it and replace it with yet another grocery store. How many grocery stores do we have in a 25 mile radius? Approximately 92172358. How many independent movie theatres showing foreign, indie, and other random films? 0 now. I'm not good at math but yeah...

It's not lost on me that the movie I saw today is Silver Linings Playbook. Among other things, it's primarily a movie about a guy with some mental issues. So yes, I finally gathered up enough courage to get beyond my mental issues to go by myself to see a movie about a guy with mental issues.

And I enjoyed it immensely. I'll do it again and think nothing of it, now that it won't the first time.

14 comments:

Jeanie said...

Good for you....give yourself a pat on the back for me. It sounds like it will be much easier next time (and you could take your own wine with you).

Jazzbumpa said...

All growth takes place at the margins.

Cheers!
JzB

Jan Holt said...

Well done! It's been years since I've been to the movies by myself. I think you've just inspired me to do so. SO nice to be back on blogger again reading your posts!

TMC said...

Nice! I used to go to the movies alone when I lived in Indy, mostly for the popcorn and the air conditioning. : ) I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and hope you'll do it again when the whim strikes you.

betty said...

Good for you, Cate!! I like what Jeanie said, LOL, to take your own wine with you :)

Never heard of the movie; will have to look for it.

I've been to a few movies by myself, one thing I need to gather up courage for is to go and eat in a "fine" restaurant alone.

hope all is well!

betty

Anonymous said...

Progress! As long as you are doing it the way you want, on your terms, go for it. You call your own shots.

restlessjo said...

Small steps, great advances. Well done, Cate.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that you did it, and even more so glad that you enjoyed yourself. Most of the movies I see these days are by myself. It really can be a lovely relaxing time.

Ron. said...

I'm on the spectrum's other extreme; would prefer to do most things solo; feel like the experience is more intense that way. Even when in company, most times I feel like I'm on my own anyway. Except when I'm with My Beloved Sandra, with whom I would gladly do anything (except maybe visit Vegas), she being my other half.

Unknown said...

That's great! Not many people would be able to do what you did!

tonyamaries said...

Well done! That is something I have not done but would like to do.

Jim said...

Brave girl, Cate! I hope no one tried to pick you up?

I would be afraid to go to the movie all by myself. Not that I would be hurt or someone would try something funny.

Rather I would be afraid that I would go to sleep and no one would wake me up until the sweepers came. I go to sleep very easily, sometimes even while waiting for the red traffic light to go green.
..

Josie Two Shoes said...

Yay for you! In life there isn't always someone to do things with us. Several years ago I decided that my life would go on even if my companion wasn't available, so I started going out to movies, dinner, a concert, etc. and after the first time it was just fine. We saw Silver Linings and loved it too, much better than anticipated!

Unknown said...

Good for you!!! That's one I've always had problems with, too! I just can't bring myself to do it. That and eating out.