STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

You haven't lived...

...until you've eaten tater tots with chopsticks.

Every so often, Joe and I run away from the cats spend a night in a city a few hours away just for a change of scenery. We find the time in the car is great for conversations (and BOY do we ever have a lot to be conversating about lately) and it's nice to be away from home. The hotel is dirt cheap, especially this time of year, and it has all of the necessary amenities, like free wi-fi and a party elevator. As an added bonus, there is a Wegmans nearby so we can stock up on our beloved Upstate New York noms.

Part of our routine includes spending an evening people-watching at the hotel bar. Or sometimes, we end up being the people who are watched. Usually me more than Joe. We've been there just enough that the bartender now greets us by name, which is a sign of a really good bartender. Especially since we're only in there once every few months.

This past Saturday, we settled in with our beverages of choice and decided to order a snack of some sort. Oooh, tater tots! It's not every day that you see tater tots on the menu so we decided to go for it.

When they arrived, they came with chopsticks. Chopsticks for tater tots? I had always thought of them as finger food but I've been trying to master chopsticks so it seemed the universe was presenting me with an opportunity to practice.

Or at least I thought so, until our friendly bartender told us later that he just likes to serve the tater tots with chopsticks because it amuses him to watch the inebriated struggle with them.

Someday, maybe I'll learn the difference between messages from the universe and entertainment for bored bartenders. Until then, I'll be right here serving as a sideshow for the rest of you.

10 comments:

C. Beth said...

That is HILARIOUS. Literally laughing out loud.

Unknown said...

That is great! He is now my favorite bartender in the whole wide world!!!

Unknown said...

I guess I should clarify that comment. He isn't my favorite for do that to YOU, just the sentiment in general.

Kimmy said...

That's pretty funny! What a great way for an entertainment piece! Oh, and I'm not so good at chopsticks either. One these days perhaps....

Whitney said...

I've always thought it amusing that all of the local chinese restaurants around here bring you silverware and have the chopsticks at the bar...Why would you willingly use chopsticks if the silverware is more readily available?

That bartender is clever...

Joanie said...

Oh that's funny!!!

Tales of Cheerios and Sleepless Nights said...

That is awesome! I'm totally handing out random sets of chopsticks at all future parties.

Unknown said...

and this is why we shouldn't over think everything...

awesome.

i still would have started a bar brawl to show my displeasure at being made fun of.

but that's just me. (not really)

<3

Toriz said...

Personally I'd have just gone with the finger option. I can - just about - use chopsticks, but for things popularly considered finger food I always opt for the fingers option... So much easier!

Jazzbumpa said...

I'd use the chop sticks for the 'tots, and save the finger for the 'tender.

More seriously - he is my new hero.

Contingent on this: Does he make a decent martini?

Cheers!
JzB