STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

On (Not) Writing

A year ago, I wanted to be a writer. No idea what that meant, but that was the plan. Move from my current job into marketing? Copy editing? Maybe a job at a newspaper or magazine? I took classes, wrote my heart out for NaNoWriMo, read books about writing, and scribbled fabulous notes full of story ideas and characters and scenes.

Ready to put my plan into action, I slaved away for months developing a brilliant project that would meld my love of the interwebz with creative writing. Many hours were spent devising the technical approach and brainstorming the story idea. With my plan of attack thoroughly developed, I enlisted the help of a writer-friend and a coder-friend to make magic happen. My mama (ok, someone's mama, probably not mine) always told me that if you put in the time and effort and believe, you can do anything! And I had faith that this was going to be ground-breaking and life-changing.

Instead, it failed abysmally. We did everything right. Advertised, linked, posted on related sites. People responded and visited the site! But they did not stay. Or they did not return. Or they did not discuss, which was necessary for the project to succeed. And so rather than contemplating sequels, I was left wondering where it all went wrong.

That was summer of 2007. I completed NaNoWriMo again that November and haven't written a thing since other than a stray blog entry here or there (which I don't consider 'writing' based on the type of effort/content).

I don't think I'll do NaNoWriMo again this year. I'm uninspired. I thought about taking another class and that didn't pique my interest either. Instead, I'll just blog away and see if I can relocate my elusive muse. She must be hiding around here somewhere...

No comments: