STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Words about Balance

Remember my word of the year? Balance? Wow has that been a challenge.

Look at the posts on this blog if you'd like an indication. I've blogged 23 times since January 1st, of which one is my Word of the Year, one is a bulleted list of things I should do or blog about, one was a response to a tagged meme posts, five are "real" blog posts (if you define "real" in very loose terms), and 15 are Six Word Saturday posts. Not what I had in mind at the start of the year.

Not to mention the content of those 15 6WS posts. Not exactly sunshine and rainbows a lot of the time.

Now it's the second half of April. Well, tomorrow is, technically. And finally I'm starting to find some balance, as I alluded to this past Saturday: Destination Resignation 2.0 - feeling better already.

The very short version is that I had a freelance contract that was taking up a lot more time and energy than it was worth. It wasn't something I was enjoying and it wasn't paying well enough to make it worth the energy it was sucking from my life. I finally put things in motion last Friday to cancel that particular contract. Fingers crossed - I could be done with it as early as April 30th.

Which brings about a new balance challenge - I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the possibilities it opens up. I have a few commitments I need to tend to first. SO sorry to those I've left hanging in the meantime. I'll look for more contracts for work I love. But so many other things I want to do.

But I need to remember balance. Because it's hard to maintain it when you're so weighed down by commitments that suck your soul out of you.

It's only because of the support of Joe and some damn good friends that I haven't broken recently when things have been coming at me from all directions. At least this one particular source of stress is heading toward relief.

Thanks for sticking with me, folks.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Balance? What is this "Balance" thing of which you speak?

I wish I had a contract I could find my way out of. What I have, instead, is a job with which, daily, I become increasingly disinterested but, without which, I become destitute & potentially homeless (if My Beloved Sandra decides to take me for the short-sighted, heedless wreck I have become & decides to cast me out)

Hang in there C. better contracts are coming.

C. Beth said...

Balance is so hard. And you're right, when someone is sucking the life out of you, you don't have the energy to focus on what's really important. I'm so glad you're creating some space for yourself. Work and money are great. Sanity and happiness are better. Having enough...is enough. :)

Jeanie said...

Eliminating that big source of stress sounds like a great start toward better balance in your life. I'm glad you have support from the people in your life while you sort out the rest of the possibilities open to you.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are doing this for yourself. Life is too short to be miserable with something you have the power to change. Sending you hugs.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I'm glad of this resolution for you.

TMC said...

You've inspired me to revisit my own word of the year: orderliness. I don't think I've given it much thought since February. I suppose I could've chosen the word Action but orderliness, the me, implies the action of making things orderly. Eh. I'm rationalizing. Congrats on taking steps to put your balance back in perspective.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear things are looking up for you! Yes, balance and support are important.