STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Sunday, February 07, 2010

Big Day

Ever have one of those days that just seems will be significant somewhere down the line? I feel like I had one of those days. I haven't been able to process it all yet but our trip is going amazingly well and it makes me almost uneasy.

- We managed to catch the last flight out of Philly to our podunk destination on Friday morning - all later flights to podunk were canceled due to snow.

- Friday night, we had an amazing dinner with fantastic friends. Is there anything better?

- My brother and SIL made the trip despite expecting over 2 feet of snow they'll have to drive back through to reach home.

- Saturday morning, we had breakfast with my FIL who traditionally runs extremely late and isn't always well in many ways. However, he was ready promptly at 9am and we had a really nice time together.

- I spent 9 hours at my parents' home with my mother, father, brother, SIL, sister, BIL, nephew and new niece. And Joe, of course. We all got along well; there were minimal eye-rolling occasions or awkward moments.

- Babies are cute, y'all. I held her a lot and she's made of sugar and spice and everything awesome. The nephew is adorkable despite some teething grumpiness.

- We spent a few hours in the evening with my 80 yr old grandmother who is always bitter and morose but not this time. We had good conversation, stayed away from the touchy topics, and left without her having a crying breakdown.

A really unexpectedly great day. Lots of family exposure, no need for xanax. I can't wrap my mind around it. I'm not sure if I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop or what exactly. I just feel like it was a 'big' day in a way I haven't yet identified.

Anyways, sorry for the babbles with no conclusion or point. As I write this late Saturday night, I'm just kind of tapping out whatever's in my head. I suppose that's easier than trying to think it through.

P.S. My husband is a swell guy. I'm not sure what I'd do without him. That's not about anything specific, I just felt the need to share.

13 comments:

betty said...

I can't believe I'm the first commenter. I'm so glad it is going amazingly well, Cate. Maybe everyone decided to act grown up this time and not bring up the past and not dwell in the past and move on with being together as a family. I think it is neat. And babies are truly wonderful, glad that you are enjoying holding your niece and playing with your nephew

betty

Unknown said...

so happy you are having a good trip:)

you can't change other people, but sometimes they will actually do it themselves.

fingers crossed.

enjoy the bebe's.

andrea

Anonymous said...

Sounds like all is going well and nobody is out of line. Here's hoping the rest of your stay is the same.

Annelie said...

So happy for you Cate! Definitely sounds like a big change. Have a safe trip home, and enjoy the baby. :)

silver star said...

Wow! Sounds like a great trip, maybe that niece was all your family needed to get along. Hope the rest of the trip goes just as well, if not better!

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Yay! This is the best post ever! So happy to hear things are going well.
~M

Nessa said...

I am so glad things went so well for you.

The Simple Things Challenge

Jeanie said...

There is a point to this post Cate...a really important point. You are having a good time! I hope the rest goes well, but you have some good experiences under you belt.

Kathy said...

Cate, so glad things worked out so well :) Kathy

Mim said...

it's so lovely when you can see your family without xanax - good for you!

mo.stoneskin said...

Minimal eye-rolling occasions? Are you saying that you barely rolled your eyes at all? I don't believe it.

Lora said...

well, if you were stranded in my town and the snow made it impossible for me to meet you I woulda been upset so I'm glad you made it out of here.

Also, I'm really glad everything is going well. Sometimes babies do that to a room, they hold magical powers

C. Beth said...

Cate, this is SUCH good news. :)